Omni Acne Treatment
Acne Acne is one of the world’s most common skin conditions, affecting over 85% of adolescents by the age of 24 years and up to 50% of adults over 25 years of age. Acne is a widespread and upsetting condition. It can produce lifelong physical and emotional scarring.
Acne is NOT caused by bad diet or greasy foods. In fact, acne develops when the sebaceous glands in a person’s skin produces excess oil? (sebum). This oil combines with cells that line the gland walls and clogs the skin’s pores. Normal skin bacteria colonise these pores and the body’s response causes the inflammation or reddening of the skin that we associate with acne.
The Omnilux blueTM unit showing the array of light emitting diodes
How does OmniluxTM light therapy work?
One of the key bacteria responsible for the inflammation is Propionibacterium acnes or P.acnes. These bacteria produce natural chemicals called poryphyrins, which are sensitive to light at different wavelengths. If stimulated, these chemicals will neutralise the bacteria and with no bacteria present inflammation will subside.
Omnilux blueTM stimulates these chemicals and so eradicates the bacteria that cause the redness or inflammation of acne. This is combined with Omnilux reviveTM which has anti inflammatory properties, this helps to minimise the redness of acne lesions and promotes healthier skin.
Omnilux treatments are totally non-invasive and generate no heat. The treatment does not damage normal tissue and works with the body’s own natural processes to rejuvenate the skin.
How Omnilux Works
Why choose Omnilux combination light therapy for acne?
- Omnilux is an essential tool as part of an acne management programme. OmniluxTM delivers pure light optimised to deliver the correct wavelength and dose for maximum activation of the target cells.
- Combination phototherapy works through the anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory activity of Omnilux blueTM and Omnilux reviveTM delivered alternately. Only by delivering the right wavelength in sequence can optimum results be seen.
- Activation of coproporphyrin III creates intracellular singlet oxygen – inducing complete bacterial death.
- This reduces the bacterial colonisation of the sebaceous gland, returning the gland’s abnormally high level of sebum to normal and reducing the production of proinflammatory cytokines.
- Simultaneously, Omnilux blueTM induces anti-inflammatory cytokines, stimulating specific immunoregulatory pathways.
- The intracellular specificity of red light therapy (Omnilux reviveTM) is well documented and it has long been demonstrated that 633nm offers excellent reduction in inflammatory lesions and is proven to stimulate cellular mechanisms for tissue repair.
Before and after OmniluxTM therapy showing a 89% reduction in inflamed lesions, 12 weeks from the end of treatment.
Omnilux blueTM for acne
In a recent study of 30 subjects, (skin types I-IV, all with mild to moderate acne vulgaris) every subject had a significantly successful treatment response. There was an optimum reduction in inflammatory lesions of 73% 4 to 8 weeks post treatment.
Before and after OmniluxTM combination therapy showing excellent redion in inflamed and nodular lesions, 12 weeks from the end of treatment.
OmniluxTM combination light therapy for acne
In a recent study 16 subjects (skin types I-IV, all with mild to moderate acne vulgaris or moderately severe cystic acne) were treated with alternate Omnilux blueTM and Omnilux reviveTM light therapy.
A mean clearance rate of over 82% was seen 12 weeks after the final treatment.
Before and after OmniluxTM therapy showing a 73% clearance 8 weeks after the last treatment
What results can be expected from a series of treatments?
Optimum results will be seen between 4-8 weeks after treatment. The light stimulates natural processes that continue after the treatment has stopped. Whilst studies have shown complete clearance of lesions, on average you should expect 70% of lesions to clear when using blue light alone and over 80% when using blue and red light together. We suggest that the treatment is used in conjunction with a preparation such as salicylic acid. Your advisor can discuss this combination treatment with you.
Are there any side effects from the treatments?
No. There have been no reported adverse side effects like redness or irritation from the treatment, and the light does not damage skin in any way.
Is it painful?
Not at all because there’s no heat involved, there’s no pain!
What actually happens during the treatment?
You will have to remove any makeup or sunblock before the treatment and you will also be asked to wear safety goggles. The light will then be positioned close to your face and you will be treated for 20 minutes. After that you’re free to go home.
The treatment course is usually 8 light treatments. Dependent upon your type of acne, you may be advised to use a face wash and a gel containing salicylic acid. These are both available from the OmniluxTM range of products and will help with the treatment.
OmniluxTM light therapy is the clear choice for acne
- Because there is no heat involved, there’s no pain!
- Eradicates the bacterium that causes acne through natural processes, so it won’t harm your skin
- Promotes your body’s natural healing response so the treatment continues long after the light has been switched off
- Highly effective, no side effects, no irritation
- Quick and simple.